Friday 13 July 2012

All in cottage pie

It has been a damp week with me, I was cooking for my family and wanted something that would warm them up in this weather. I also wanted something that could be prepared in advance.
An easy go to dinner that I like that pleases most people is cottage or shepherds pie. I was cooking for some picky customers this time, so I made two - one was plain with meat, gravy, peas, corn, beetroot and mashed potatoes. Mash contained garlic and rosemary and a smidge of butter.

The larger one was filled with all of the above and some chickpeas, onions, peppers, broccoli, aubergine, courgette (basically everything in the fridge) The chickpeas stretch the meat out, but maintain protein. I added some chipotle peppers and some raspberries to the gravy in this pie.

For the gravy I used bisto - at bit of a cheat but I find it very useful.


I also put a little grated Grana Padano on top - it adds to the flavour and appearance without adding too many calories to an already cosy meal

No comments: