Saturday 10 November 2012

Christmas with the Diaspora

If you are like my family (and in the current economic climate, it wouldn't surprise me) you will be celebrating Christmas this year via Skype with family members all over the world.
I have a sister in Oz, some family in America and Canada and a few folks over in England. For Christmas I like to send a little taste of home. This varies from person to person and each family has their own traditions. With my Sister so far away and unable to come home for her favourite time of year I make an extra special effort for her.



I will send her a pre-Christmas parcel- it will mostly be little bits and pieces, pre-cut paper chains, paper lantern makers, and other Christmas decorations and some  sweets (Dairy Milk that has been made in Ireland - sorry, I know it was originally invented in England but the Irish version is that little bit creamier)  None of the things I am sending are very expensive (to be honest they will actually cost less than the postage) but I think it can help to have the silly things when you are away from home.

For her actual Christmas present (I won't actually reveal - don't want to spoil the surprise) I found a seller on ebay Australia who will post it directly. This cuts down the cost of shipping drastically, it allows for a much better delivery period and I just replace my sister's first name with Santie and she will know not to open it until Christmas day.



I know this seem like a bit much to some and possible not very frugal but  this is only something I do for my loved ones abroad. To my family in the US I actually send them crisps - again the shipping is much more than the goods, but the treat for those who can't make it home is worth it. The rest of my Christmas presents will be a lot more practical!



An Post postal dates:
Europe                Last dates for parcels 11th December
                          Last dates for letters 18th December
USA, Canada, Australia, Israel, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India & Philippines 
                          Last dates for parcels 8th December
                          Last dates for letters 8th December
Rest of the world  Last dates for parcels 4th December
                          Last dates for letters 4th December

RoyalMail Christmas posting dates:

International Airmail
Wednesday 5 DecAsia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
Friday 7 DecAfrica, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
Monday 10 DecCanada, Eastern Europe and USA
Wednesday 12 DecWestern Europe

No comments: