Sunday 20 May 2012

Dinner Emergency - Chickpea Rescue

I had invited some friends over for dinner, and budgeted and shopped accordingly. One of my guests was gluten intolerant, so I had settled on a Bolognese with pasta for everyone and gluten free pasta for the coeliac. However as usual with my friends by the time I was preparing dinner the numbers had doubled.


I didn't have any extra mince meat so instead I added some chorizo that was in the fridge and some chickpeas that were in the cupboard. I threw in some extra veg and the meal for four became a meal for eight.



I love chickpeas and cook with them in various dishes (who doesn't love chickpea curry!!) I often add them to dishes to stretch out any meat. I make dips and hummus with them and of course my favourite falafel! Usually with a bolognese I would add mixed beans, as this also helps to stretch the meal and make it feel more hearty, but the chickpeas worked quite well.


The meal was a success (although I was not a fan of the gluten free pasta)

No comments: