Wednesday 1 August 2012

Sorry for the delay: Fajita spices

I have been very busy over the last few days, I have a job interview on Friday (well a preliminary interview.) The school is actually down in Cork, but luckily my brother lives there and has agreed to put me up for the night.

I have been cleaning and scrubbing to get everything tidied up before some visitors arrive - and tonight the dinner will be from the freezer - some defrosted Bolognese, which I will add bits and pieces too.

A friend was having a house warming party dinner party and I wanted to bring something. She loves my fajitas, so I brought I made up a jar for her and brought a bottle of Elderflower Cordial diluted with fizzy water and ready to drink.



¼ tbsp garlic powder
½ tbsp onion powder
¼ - ½ tbsp cayenne (amount depends on how much heat you want)
¼ tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika (I like the smokey flavour - so I added smoked paprika)
½ tbsp salt
2 tbsp chili powder
½ tbsp sugar

This can be used as fajita powder from a packet, but I like to leave the chicken to marinate for a few hours. I add a few spoons and some lime juice (it doesn't need to be fresh, I use the bottled variety)

When cooking the fajitas I actually cook the vegetables (onion and bell peppers) in a little seasoning and oil first, remove them and leave to one side - add the marinated meat straight into the pan, the juices from the vegetables will add to the flavour.

On another utterly unfrugal note, as you can guess I enjoy fajitas and to be honest tex-mex in general. I am very tempted to buy a tortilla maker. I know that you are not supposed to buy a piece of equipment that has only one use, but I love tortillas and I cannot find decent tortillas this side of the water at all. Maybe if my interview goes well I might be able to buy one.

No comments: